From the department of irony

HP MediaSmart Server Wins Macworld Best of Show Award

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 8:54 AM |

Like this? Share it!

• # re: From the department of irony
    Commented on 1/9/2009 1:12 PM

Do you really need a windows box for the initial set up of these things? Boooo!

I also assume it just runs SMB shares and doesn't support AFP?

I'm pretty happy with my DLink DNS-323 for now. When I decide to upgrade it might be to one of these or the Drobo (once it supports true gigabit ethernet transfer speeds).

-Paul

• # re: From the department of irony
    Commented on 1/9/2009 3:24 PM

I suspect you could run anything you like on it, but the MediaSmart servers are designed especially to run Windows Home Server. I think the "Mac Support" side of things refers to some custom software HP bundles with all their prebuilt WHS boxes.

As for WHS, it's built on Windows 2003 Server, so yes it's SMB Shares only. Doesn't really bother me too much - more importantly it works with all devices that support uPnP type media shares such as PS3, XBox 360 etc.

• # re: From the department of irony
    Commented on 1/9/2009 5:45 PM

No, sorry I wasn't asking if you could run another OS on it.. I could live with WHS. :)

I was asking if, during the initial set up you need to connect to it with a windows PC for the initial configuration of the device. That's what some articles are inferring.

Or do you just plug it into a monitor and connect a key board just like any regular machine?

Yeah I'm fine with SMB too, but have definitely noticed that AFP file transfers tend to be faster (than SMB). At least when you're dealing with Linux servers and Macs.

-Paul

• # re: From the department of irony
    Commented on 1/9/2009 10:35 PM

I think it's just a badly written article - I think they mean "You need to run Windows Home Server on a PC" (which isn't totally true, as you could run it on an intel based Mac if you wanted to), not that you need your server + a pc in order to install it.

A standard Windows Home Server installation just needs installation like you would any other server (in fact easier, it just takes longer but asks less questions).

• # re: From the department of irony
    Commented on 1/14/2009 9:18 AM

irony or not, that's totally the sort of thing I need at home.. Although the mac support is not that much use for me, iTunes central repository is good though :-)