OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos

I watched this one first, and didn’t really see much that grabbed me. I’m sure there’s some great stuff here, but there’s nothing that jumped out and wowed me as something I’d use every day or that would make my life better.

I did have it in the back of my head that this release could alienate a few hardcore OSX users, whoever the hell they are, as it looks like a big change. Also if you don’t have a gesture compatible mouse you could be a bit screwed. I like gestures, but I hate the ergonomics of the mighty mouse – should I have a “proper” mouse for mousing, and a trackpad standing by for gestures? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Moving onto this one, and after not being excited about Lion I wasn’t expecting much here. But I was wrong. Wow. A lot of great features here, and things that are going to make everyday use a lot more efficient.

The new notifications system looks great, a huge improvement over what’s been there previously. Improved camera access is handy for those of us (me!) who like having a camera with them all the time, and use it a lot. The split keyboard is going to make iPad typing a lot better (my opinion here might change after using the thing, but it looks great from the video), and Wifi sync is going to be a huge improvement in terms of things feeling “cleaner” with the whole sync/charge/dock process. The new reminders app also looks pretty good – I wonder if there are any developers of todo applications out there who are feeling a little threatened right now?

Finally, not that this affects me, but iOS not needing a Mac/PC for the initial setup shows that either they are listening and paying attention to their customers, or that their simply being smart about recognising potential markets.

In summary, I’m excited about iOS 5, whereas Lion looks shiny but I can’t see anything that will improve my daily work experience – am I missing something? Let me know!

Tags: , ,

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:27 PM |

Like this? Share it!

• # re: OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos
    Commented on 6/9/2011 11:14 PM

One feature of Lion that would improve my day to day work experience is Resume. Whenever you open a program it opens exactly how it was when you closed it. Also when you reboot it will start back up with all your apps still in place. You don't even need to save your work and you won't lose any of it. This would be very handy when I'm in the middle of doing 10 things and need to reboot after some updates.

• # re: OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos
    Commented on 6/9/2011 11:25 PM

Justin that is very handy yes - I somehow missed that!

• # re: OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos
    Commented on 6/10/2011 6:11 PM

Here's a better breakdown of Lion's new features for people who like texty stuff - www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

• # re: OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos
    Commented on 6/11/2011 3:53 PM

....and here's a few additional iOS5 nuggets: www.wired.com/.../ios-5-features-wwdc/

• # re: OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos
    Commented on 6/13/2011 9:08 AM

I hated the ergonomics of the mighty mouse, but I really like the magic mouse, or is that what you meant?

I really recommend giving it a whirl, if you haven't, or perhaps trying it for a more extended period (if you had already).

• # re: OS X Lion and iOS 5 intro videos
    Commented on 6/13/2011 10:26 AM

Yep Paul my bad, I meant the magic one. I love that it's Bluetooth, and the gestures are cool, but it cramps my hand up when using it for too long.. however I have a theory that a good mouse pad and tinkering with some of the acceleration settings might help. Maybe Lion will fix it all for me? :)