Since upgrading to IE10 (by virtue of upgrading to Windows 8) I’ve been experiencing a few issues whilst accessing sites with IE10. I don’t use IE as my main browser, so it’s always been in the context of work, and typically while I’ve been too busy to troubleshoot the issue.
This evening I took a look, and was a little surprised at what I found.
The symptoms I was seeing were pretty obviously browser compatibility related:
- Not being able to login to pages requiring authentication, however if I immediately turned compatibility mode on then it would show me as being logged in
- A range of style/rendering issues
So it turns out that the browser definition files in ASP.NET 2.0 and 4.0 aren’t defining IE10 correctly, so it’s being treated incorrectly, and basically, nothing’s working.
There’s a hotfix available for this, but personally I preferred Hanselman’s solution of simply updating some of the browser definition files which you can find in his post here.
With the usage of IE10 set to spread quickly, I’m betting there’s going to be a lot of sites broken for some frustrated Windows 8 users for various amounts of time until this one gets updated everywhere.